What are the signs of Carbon Monoxide Exposure?
The symptoms vary greatly from person to person, depending on age and general health, the concentration of exposure and the length of exposure. High concentrations are dangerous for even brief periods. Initial symptoms can include lethargy, nausea and headaches. But these symptoms can vary widely.
According to the NFPA, there were 242 CO-related non-fire deaths attributed to heating and cooking equipment in 1991. The leading specific types of equipment were:
As with fire deaths, the risk of unintentional CO death is highest for the very young (ages 4 and under) and the very old (ages 75 and above).
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odorless and colorless gas created from incomplete combustion. Heating and cooking equipment are possible sources of Carbon Monoxide, as are vehicles running in an attached garage.
How can I protect myself from Carbon Monoxide poisoning?
The best protection is PREVENTION. Insure that heating and cooking equipment is properly installed and maintained. Vehicles, lawn and garden equipment should not be operated in attached garages. A Carbon Monoxide detector installed in your home can provide an early warning of accumulating Carbon Monoxide, but is no substitute for proper maintenance of heating and cooking equipment.
The Volunteer Firefighters of the Fredericksburg Volunteer Fire Department take fire prevention very seriously. Each year hundres of local school children compete in a fire prevention poster contest. In addition to this, many classes come to visit our fire house to experience first hand what a fire fighter actually does, looks like and sounds like. They always leave after a visit knowing about smoke detectors, operation E.D.I.T.H. "Escape Drills In The Home" and how to STOP, DROP and ROLL. They also love having a "hands-on" try at our gear and the apparatus, not to mention the "fire pole". We also have the great pleasure of visiting our local schools and day care centers with the trucks.
FREDERICKSBURG VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
Carbon Monoxide Information